Macau’s Secretary for Economy and Finance, Lei Wai Nong, said on July 29 that the government is planning the resumption of mainland China’s exit-visa system for independent travel to Macau, also known as the Individual Visit Scheme (IVS), but emphasized that epidemic prevention work must be done well first. He also noted that there will be measures taken to attract more tourists back to Macau, in an orderly manner.
Speaking during an interview at the event yesterday, Mr. Lei said that he had been in close contact with the mainland side. Though didn’t reveal any time frame, he added that some practical steps, such as stress tests practiced at immigration control checkpoints, have been taken, and the government will gradually and orderly resume the “re-opening of large-scale tourism” based on risk assessment, and believes that it will really boost the local economy.
Guangdong announced this Tuesday (29 July) that the travel bubble between the Macao and Guangdong is expanded to all of Guangdong province, following it removed the mandatory 14-day quarantine on visitors returning from Macau, imposed since 27 March, two weeks ago on 15 July.
The influence of travel restrictions reflects the massive decline in visitation to Macau throughout the the first half-year of 2020.