Início » Trump says federal government is reviewing Minneapolis shooting that killed Alex Pretti

Trump says federal government is reviewing Minneapolis shooting that killed Alex Pretti

U.S. President Donald Trump confirmed on Monday that his administration is conducting a comprehensive review of the fatal shooting of 37-year-old Alex Pretti by a federal immigration enforcement agent in Minneapolis, amid intensifying national scrutiny and political controversy.

Pretti, an intensive care nurse at a Veterans Affairs hospital and U.S. citizen, was shot and killed on Saturday during an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) operation in the city’s downtown. The incident, which occurred as Pretti approached federal agents at a protest, has triggered widespread outrage and protests across Minneapolis.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Trump declined twice to say whether the federal officer who fired the shots had acted appropriately. Instead, he stated that the administration is “reviewing everything and will come out with a determination.” The President reiterated that he does not support any shooting, but also criticized Pretti for attending the protest with what he described as a “very powerful, fully loaded gun.”

The Trump administration’s narrative has become a subject of fierce dispute. Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem and other senior officials have asserted that Pretti approached agents while armed, though bystander video circulating online appears to contradict these claims, showing Pretti holding only a phone prior to the fatal shots.

Local authorities have challenged the federal account, and Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara has said video footage raises “serious questions” about what transpired. The Minneapolis shooting follows a similar fatal encounter earlier in January and has magnified debate over federal immigration enforcement tactics in U.S. cities.

Pretti’s family has publicly condemned the administration’s portrayal of the incident as “sickening lies,” asserting that their son was holding a phone and trying to assist others when he was confronted by agents.

Political leaders on both sides of the aisle are now calling for a thorough investigation. Some Republican lawmakers have expressed concern about the use of federal agents in domestic operations, while Democratic officials are demanding that immigration officers be withdrawn from Minneapolis.

As the federal review continues, legal and civil rights organizations are preparing to pursue oversight and accountability, even as Trump defends his administration’s broader immigration policies and enforcement priorities.

Contact Us

Generalist media, focusing on the relationship between Portuguese-speaking countries and China.

Plataforma Studio

Newsletter

Subscribe Plataforma Newsletter to keep up with everything!

Uh-oh! It looks like you're using an ad blocker.

Our website relies on ads to provide free content and sustain our operations. By turning off your ad blocker, you help support us and ensure we can continue offering valuable content without any cost to you.

We truly appreciate your understanding and support. Thank you for considering disabling your ad blocker for this website