Chinese authorities concluded that a leak of contaminated gas in August last year was responsible for infecting thousands of Chinese people with brucellosis in the northwest of the country. The announcement was made last Tuesday (15).
The Lanzhou health commission said the drug factory spill caused the outbreak of the bacterial disease. At least 3,245 people contracted brucellosis.
The disease usually affects animals, but it can be transmitted to humans through ingestion of unpasteurized dairy products and infected meat, eaten raw or undercooked, in addition to breathing air contaminated by the bacteria.
Read more in IstoÉ
This article is available in: Português