Cabo Delgado: Atrocities have lasted for three years, but attract little international attention
The alarm signals sound at the United Nations because of mass deaths, destruction and displacement of people in Cabo Delgado province, Mozambique, where reports of beheadings and other atrocities have surfaced.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet, last November 13 called for “urgent measures” to be taken to protect civilians in that northern Mozambique province, after several reports revealed a situation increasingly alarming human rights in an area of limited access.
Mozambican media reported earlier this week that more than 50 people were beheaded in the north of the country by Islamic militants, which has since been denied by several other sources. It is also, therefore, difficult to ascertain the real and true information of what is happening in Cabo Delgado. One thing is certain: the insurgency is far from being stopped.
The UN has already admitted that it is difficult to verify the exact number of deaths, as well as Islamic militants, but says the situation is “hopeless” in Cabo Delgado. The organization has evidence of attacks by armed groups, civilian deaths and strong clashes with security forces in different parts of the province, a situation that has lasted for three years.
Some areas have been and are being deprived of any humanitarian aid for more than six months, with many districts in the north virtually isolated from the rest of the province.
Meanwhile, the Portuguese Episcopal Conference yesterday expressed its solidarity with the Diocese of Pemba. “The situation in the diocese of Pemba was present in the concerns and prayers of this Assembly, which expresses its solidarity and calls on the government of Mozambique and international institutions for the proper solution of its serious problems”, says the statement sent to the newsrooms.
This article is available in: Português