1% of the population collected more than half of the world's wealth - Plataforma Media

1% of the population collected more than half of the world’s wealth

Launched to coincide with the first day of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, the report entitled “Survival of the richest” reveals that 63% of all new wealth created since 2020, worth US$42 trillion (US$39 billion) euros), benefited only 1% of the world’s population. The amount represents almost double the money earned by the rest of the world’s population (99%).

In the last decade, this 1% has raised almost half of all new wealth generated.

According to the study, multimillionaires increase their wealth by 2.7 billion dollars (2.5 billion euros) a day, at a time when the world is being affected by a crisis of rising cost of living, where inflation is growing more than wages.

The Oxfam report gives the example of Elon Musk, the American tycoon (of South African origin) in the technology sector and founder of the electric car manufacturer Tesla, one of the richest men in the world, who claims to have paid a “true tax rate” of around 3% between 2014 and 2018.

Read more in Jornal de Notícias

Este artigo está disponível em: Português

Assine nossa Newsletter