Flörsch"s return "would be welcome"

Sophia Flörsch

German driver Sophia Flörsch "would be welcome" to take part in the next Macau Grand Prix, Lei Si Leng, Chief of the Macau Grand Prix and Major Sports Events Department at the Sports Institute, told PLATAFORMA this week.

Flörsch suffered spinal fractures in an accident during the 2018 F3 race, held on November 18 at the Guia Circuit. When braking to the Hotel Lisboa bend, his monoseat collided at high speed with the car of Japanese Sho Tsuboi, jumping the security barrier and reaching the photographer bunker placed at the end of the long straight. The impact was so violent that the images of the accident became viral and generated a controversy regarding the zebras that had been placed in the inside part of the bend and made the car fly.

Flörsch, who was 17 at the time of the accident, underwent surgery at the Hospital Conde de São Januário for seven hours. After the operation, the local surgeons doubted that the German driver could return to compete in F3. But Flörsch pledged to return to the F3 2019 event when she left Macau on November 26 to continue his recovery in Germany. Flörsch has returned to training at the Monza Circuit he beginning of March, just 106 days after the high speed crash in Macau.

"In interviews we saw before she left Macau, she said she would be back," Lei Si Leng said, noting that the list of pilots will be launched in October by the Federation International de l"Automobile (FIA).

According to Lei, the specifications of the F3 car that will be used in the November race in Macau are not officially defined. The FIA ​​and the Organizing Committee of the Macau Grand Prix are considering the possibility of using the car of the Dallara chassis manufacturer that will be competing in the F3 International Championship or other less powerful versions used in regional championships.

The options at stake may have safety consequences, with drivers and experts divided over the potential dangers of racing in the Guia Circuit with cars capable of reaching speeds in excess of 300 km per hour. A Dallara representative argued that only the use of the more powerful cars will maintain the competitive relevance of the Grand Prix and attract the drivers who are making their way to F1.

The next step in terms of organization off the Macau Grand Prix is the announcement of the main sponsor, which will be done in a press conference to be held soon. That process is in phase of pubic consultation to identify interested parties. In recent years, the main sponsor was the VIP gaming operator Suncity Group.

Relacionadas

Premium