Police accuses fishermen of joining terrorists

Military at one of the checkpoints set up in the province of Cabo Delgado, Mozambique, following attacks

Military at one of the checkpoints set up in the province of Cabo Delgado, Mozambique, following attacks on isolated settlements in the region, June 16th, 2018. The ten homicides in Nangamede and Monjane on May 27th included beheadings in an action attributed to a group of alleged Islamic roots, the same one that, through different cells, is suspected of being behind the other attacks on remote villages in the province of Cabo Delgado that have happened since October 2017 - after an initial siege of two days to the village of Mocímboa da Praia which resulted in the invasion of police stations and the murder of two agents. (ACCOMPANIES TEXT OF JUNE 22, 2018). ANTÓNIO SILVA / LUSA

  |  LUSA

The police believes fishermen have been recruited to join insurgent groups that have been attacking the region. Fishermen deny the accusations

The provincial police commander of the Republic of Mozambique (PRM) in Cabo Delgado, Joaquim Sive, said that the suspects had been allegedly recruited to fishing activities in Cabo Delgado, when, in fact, they were being recruited to join a group of unknown people that have caused death and destabilization in that province since October last year, in terrorist acts, reports the website DW.

"Some people have allegedly encouraged youngsters to go to Cabo Delgado to work in fishing or to develop another activity. But what they don't know is that when they arrive they are directed to other places. They are taken there for other goals. The intention of those who take our brothers from here [Nampula] to Cabo Delgado is another one", said the police commander.

Meanwhile, last Sunday (19.08), police brigades in Cabo Delgado and Nampula traveled to the town of Geba, in the Memba district, to bring the fishermen back, since, according to authorities, they had not committed any kind of crime.

Premium