INAC denies the killing of children accused of witchcraft

Angolan Children's Institute repudiates data advanced by the study.

Angolan Children's Institute repudiates data advanced by the study.

  |  Jaimagem

The National Children's Institute (INAC) said in a statement that no children had been killed and thrown into the river on charges of witchcraft in Angola over the past three years.

Reacting to the news reported by Jornal de Angola on Friday about the deaths of more than 100 children who were victims of this crime, INAC says it has received the news with much apprehension. The Center for Population Studies and Research of the Agostinho Neto University (CEIPUAN) was the source of this news.

The study indicates that the occurrences were recorded in the provinces of Cabinda, Zaire, Malanje and Bengo. Confronted with the news, INAC reported that it immediately contacted the provincial Social Action, Family, Equality and Gender Equity offices to investigate the case record in the above provinces. The provinces "did not confirm the information and were surprised by the disclosed facts."

Read more in Jornal de Angola

Relacionadas

Premium